Thursday, April 27, 2006

Crazy Hours, Crazy Kid

All right. It's Ferber time. Don't let any of my yoga friends hear me say that. If they get to be stay at home moms who can sleep after a night of breastfeeding, hey, they are the lucky ones. Me? I have to go to work. I need sleep. I'm not asking for much, just six hours or so?

So it's time to get on a rigid schedule. As my boss put it, he needs to learn to turn on and off. Off at 7pm is one thing. But if it means ON at 4:30 am - bright eyed and bushy tailed - that's seriously offensive to my wellbeing. I mean, it's not even LIGHT yet!

And what else? Oh. I come home, he takes one look at me, he's screaming for three hours. I did eventually figure out that he just wanted to be in his crib talking to his mobile, which is fine (until I dislocated my knee going from the crib to the bed - I'm okay though). I spend an hour interacting with him, and he's not having any of it. So, crib, fine. But half an hour later, screaming again. *sigh* I have no idea what he wants. He's been fed, diapered, etc. *sigh*

So anyway, back to the 4:30 thing. I got up to feed him, and he stayed awake. I let him cry for an hour in his crib. Which is not a big deal except that the crib is 2 feet from my bed. I told Mark this is why he needs his own room. Mark got up to try to do something and I told him not to. 4:30 am is not a time to be ON. Anyway, when I got up at about 5:45 he had sort of dozed off, but as soon as he heard me he was awake again. Giggling and playing, though, so it wasn't as bad. Poor Mark, too. Neither of us had a good night.

So tonight, if it kills me - and so far with the knee thing it seems to be conspiring to do so - he is not going to bed before 8:30. Right now he's screaming in his playpen because he won't sit still while I ice my knee. But he was screaming in my arms, on my lap, etc. anyway. I just have to make sure he doesn't scream himself to sleep. It's only 7:41.

No comments: