Because I was able to keep him up until 10, he pretty much slept through the night. He awoke at 4:30-ish and was making his usual "I'm trying to wake up" noises, but I ignored him, hoping he wouldn't cry for food. I went back to sleep. I'm not sure what he did, but he didn't start crying until 5:30, which is precisely when I want him to be waking up. I fed him and he went back to sleep, too! He was just waking up for good at about 7:00 when I left.
If this goes on, it will be heavenly. That amounts to 7.5 hours sleep for me. If I can go to bed at 9:30 and Mark can take care of putting him to bed by 10, I could get 8 hours.
Now we have to do this routine through the weekend. This stinks, because I am behind on sleep and want to sleep in. Mark will take a feeding shift - then it's a matter of what to do after 7 when he's awake. Sometimes he'll entertain himself or sleep until 9 - no sleep now, or he won't nap.
Speaking of naps, I left Isabel a note this morning that she must put him in his crib and leave him to rest, even if he cries, for an hour in the afternoon. I'll explain it to her more when I come home toinght, and I'll have to practice it myself over the weekend and see how it goes.
Omi said when she's here she could entertain him in the wee hours - and I said no way. We have got to get him on a schedule, or at least something pleasantly predictable. We can't keep mixing up his hours. He's at an age and has a good enough disposition where he can start to learn how to deal with a schedule and not feel insecure. In fact, a schedule might actually build his sense of security!
Friday, April 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Neglected children everywhere will one day get to say, "My mom wrote a novel." Fintan is no exception.
He'll also get to say "My mom climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro when there was still snow on it." I'm so proud of him!
No comments:
Post a Comment