Monday, April 24, 2006

World's Cutest Possibly Sick Baby

Well I'm recovering from feeling "down" and today Mark was literally "down and out." He stayed home and Isabel was here taking care of Fin as usual. She said he seemed a little "out" too. I gave him some baby tylenol and he seems much better. Now he's strapped into his car seat on the sofa propped slightly up to watch hockey, to which he is glued. I think he's dozing off, too. It's almost bed-time, so I'll wake him, keep him up a bit longer and then give him a good feeding to knock him out.

This evening I put him on the changing table to change him (he had a leak) and boy was that a cute experience. If he weren't likely to flip himself off it I would have run downstairs to grab my camera. We spent a lot of time blowing bubbles on his belly and doing his favorite pass-time these days: sticking out his tongue.

Then we played "grab the toy" for a while. It's so darling because he slowly tries to grab the item and pull it to his mouth. It's the slow deliberate movements that are so cute, and the look on his face that says "how am I doing?" If he got hold of it firmly he was okay. If he got a weak grip i would help him not lose it while he pulled it toward his mouth. If he missed he would clasp his hands (not realizing he had his own hands rather than the item) and continue the slow pull toward his mouth anyway. If you put the item at his mouth (or if he dropped it) he would still try to slowly move his hands toward his mouth. It's quite a sight to see.

He's also grabbing the bottle now. He definitely recognizes what it is and when he's not starved he opens his mouth in anticipation before you put it to his lips. He keeps his eye on the ball, so to speak, and sometimes puts a hand or both hands on it (or on my hands, as the case may be). He can't quite hold it up but you can tell his brain is getting the idea.

It's so nice to have a cute, happy baby! And soon he'll have a little more independence, too.

No comments: